Social Icons

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Psalms 70-79

Sorry folks.  I got hung up this week with all that has been going on.  Today I'll post three blogs, each on the days of Psalms that I've missed this week.


I need to highlight the entire 71st Psalm, but here are a few of the most striking.
Psalm 71:4-5 

Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of evil and cruel men.  For you have been my hope, O Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth.


I've always grown up in church, albeit a few months here and there where I didn't go for one reason or another.  My demons are depression, anxiety, wickedness, and worst of all, anger.  God please take these away from me.  I don't want to suffer anymore.

Psalm 71:9-15

Do not cast me away when I am old; do not forsake me when my strength is gone.  For my enemies speak against me; those who wait to kill me conspire together.  They says, "God has forsaken him; pursue him and seize him, for no one will rescue him."  Be not far from me, O God; come quickly, O my God, to help me.  May my accusers perish in shame; may those who want to harm me be covered with scorn and disgrace.  But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.  My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure.




Psalm 72 is a psalm of royalty.  We will see one of these in a few days when we read Psalm 122.

Psalm 75:8 
In the hand of the Lord is a cup full of foaming wine mixed with spices; he pours it out, and all the wicked of the earth drink it down to its very dregs.


I didn't know what a dreg was, so I looked it up.  It has three similar definitions:

1.) sediment contained in a liquid or precipitate from it
2.) most undesirable part
3.) last remaining part

At first, I thought this passage reflected the third definition of dreg.  However, after looking over the Psalm again, I'm starting to wonder if it means the second definition.  This psalm is talking about the wicked of the earth.

Psalm 75:4 
To the arrogant I say, 'Boast no more,' and to the wicked, 'Do not lift up your horns.  Do not lift your horns against heaven; do not speak with outstretched neck.'"
Psalm 78:21-39, 41 
God's anger rose against [the people of Jacob and against Israel]; he put to death the sturdiest among them, cutting down the young men of Israel.  In spite of all this, they kept on sinning; in spite of his wonders, they did not believe.  So he ended their days in futility and their years in terror.  Whenever God slew them, they would seek him; they eagerly turned to him again.  They remembered that God was their Rock, that God Most High was their Redeemer.  But then they would flatter him with their mouths, lying to him with their tongues;  their hearts were not loyal to him, they were not faithful to his covenant.  Yet he was merciful; he forgave their iniquities and did not destroy them.  Time after time he restrained his anger and did not stir up his full wrath.  He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return...Again and again the put God to the test; they vexed the Holy One of Israel.


If God won't let loose his full wrath, why can't I restrain myself?


Psalm 79:8-9 
Do not hold against us the sins of the fathers; may your mercy come quickly to meet us, for we are in desperate need.  Help us, O God our Savior, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name's sake.







0 comments:

Post a Comment