Social Icons

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Psalms 1-5

I was talking with the campus pastor on Thursday and she told me she was reading through the Psalms.  I've decided I'm going to do that as well and give some reflections on them.

PSALM 1


Psalm 1:1
Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.




 What a great line to start out the book of Psalms.  This psalm is saying we should not follow evil.  Simple as that.

Psalm 4:1
Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God.  Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer.


Whenever I pray, it's usually about my worries and fears.  I pray that my car won't peter out (it has a leak in the radiator hose now).  I pray that I get an internship for my music technology curriculum.  I pray for forgiveness for my sins that I constantly commit every day.

Psalm 5 is interesting.

Psalm 5:2-12
Listen to my cry for help, my king, and my God, for to you I pray.  In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.  You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell.  The arrogant cannot stand in your presence; you hate all who do wrong.  You destroy those who tell lies; blood thirsty and deceitful men the Lord abhors.  But I, by your great mercy, will come into your house; in reverence will I bow down toward your holy temple.  Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness because of my enemies -- make straight your way before me.  Not a word from their mouth can be trusted; their heart is filled with destruction.  Their throat is an open grave; with their tongue they speak deceit.  Declare them guilty, O God!  Let their intrigues be their downfall.  Banish them for their many sins, for they have rebelled against you.  But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy.  Spread your protection over them, that those who have your name may rejoice in you.  For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.


In case you don't know, I like to write music, but I only do if I'm inspired.  This verse sort of inspires me.  I'm going to try to write some song verses down and see where it takes me.


Listen for my cry.  My heart is troubled
Listen for my prayer.  My heart's is in pain.
I will come to your house and I will worship
and let us not take your name in vain.

Spread your love over us, O God!
For you are the one we love
Let those who surround may rejoice you
Send your spirit down like a dove.

For surely, O Lord, bless the righteous
surround them with your holy shield
Let all who take refuge be glad,
and let your word be fulfilled.








0 comments:

Post a Comment