Social Icons

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Psalms 100-109

Psalm 102:8 
All day long my enemies taunt me...


Depression taunts me all day long.

Psalm 103:8 
The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in steadfast love.


I'm reminded of a song the Capital University Chordsmen did last year during the Homecoming and the Spring concerts.  Craig Courtney's "Praise Him."

You can hear a demonstration here.

Psalm 103:13 
As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him.


My church's adult Sunday School class is studying the Augsburg Confession right now.  This past week we talked about fear and trust in the Lord.  My pastor stated that when he was a little kid, he used to watch the Ohio State Buckeyes play basketball at night.  When they were on in Central time zone, it was actually past his bedtime.  About 20 minutes after going to bed, his dad would come and get him and take him to watch the Buckeyes.  My pastor stated that when his father's hand was on my pastor's arm, he felt like nothing could hurt him.  That was trust.

I try to go on at least one roller coaster ride whenever I go to an amusement park like King's Island.  I have a horrendous fear of heights, but I really want to get over it.  I absolutely fear going on rides that take me too high in the sky (I like the ones that are lower to the ground and spin you very fast).  I trust that the rides are completely safe, but I fear for my life when I'm on them.


Psalm 107:23-30 
Others went out on the sea in ships; they were merchants on the mighty waters.  They saw the works of the Lord, his wonderful deeds in the deep.  For he spoke and stirred up a tempest that lift high the waves.  They mounted up to the heavens and went down to the depths; in their peril their courage melted away.  They reeled and staggered like drunken men; they were at their wits' end.  Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and he brought them out of distress.  He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed.

That sounds awful familiar....

Mark 4:35-41 
That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side."  Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat.  There were also other boats with him.  A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was heavily swamped.  Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on cushion.  The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?"  He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet!  Be still!"  Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.  He said to the disciples, "Why are you so afraid?  Do you still have no faith?"  They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this?  Even the wind and the waves obey him!"




Does this not prove that Jesus was God in human form?











0 comments:

Post a Comment