Social Icons

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Congressman Gipson and the Separation of Church and State

Congressman Andy Gipson of Mississippi recently used the famous Leviticus 20:13 verse in an attempt to justify his beliefs.  The Huffington Post erroneously wrote an article stating that Andy Gipson is calling for the death of gays and lesbians.  I have to say that this is not correct.  Andy Gipson is erroneously using this passage to further his own agenda....not to call for genocide.

I looked up Congressman Gipson's email address because I wanted to express my concerns to him in a polite way, so I sent him this email.




Dear Congressman Gipson,

Please carefully and prayerfully consider what I have written in this email.

Since you are a politician and a worker in a SECULAR institution, I believe you should keep your faith and religion out of your secular work.   If the United States Government were to be a sacred institution, our democracy would in fact be called a Theocracy, much like that of Iran or of ancient Hebrews.

However, I do have to point out the error in your judgment.

The Old Testament became moot the second Christ died on the cross.  The laws in Leviticus are from something called the Holiness Code, which was written for the children of Israel.  Christians do not need to follow these laws.

Jesus said he came here to fulfill the law and prophets.  We are to follow the words of Jesus.  Not the words Moses wrote in Leviticus.  Moses is dead.  Christ took over, and he still reigns today.

Reread Matthew 7 all the way through.  Ask yourself, "Who said this?" Then you can decide whether or not it's your place to judge someone.

It probably shames and saddens God that humans have ridiculed, taunted, teased, beaten, raped, and murdered homosexuals.  These things are hateful and wrong and anyone who does these things in the name of Jesus need to repent right NOW.

One of the bad things about we Christians is that we put sins in an order.  We put several sins in groups and put them in order of how bad we think they are.....ALL sins are bad and need equal treatment.  Not just homosexuality.

Sir, might I ask, what are your sins?

My sins include, but are not limited to, these.

  1. lust
  2. greed
  3. anger
  4. arrogance
  5. bitterness
  6. condemnation
  7. doubting God’s presence (this is a big one for me)
  8. hate
  9. selfishness
  10. swearing
  11. ungratefulness
  12. disobeying God’s will
  13. worshipping false idols (another big one for me)
  14. sexual immorality

All these are just as bad as (and sometimes worse than) homosexuality.

Congressman, I do hope you look back at your remarks and see how you have hurt so many people.  Please ask God to help you and to forgive you.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to read this.

Jesse



I completely forgot a very important point though.  I forgot to mention that I do not think he was calling for the killing of thousands of people.  I knew what he was trying to say, but his choice of words and Biblical verses were wrong.  

I sincerely and whole-heartedly believe everything I said in my email to Mr. Gipson.  I believe that our morals are different from the morals of Moses' time.  I believe that Jesus came here to take our sins away.  I believe that ALL sins are bad, not just the cherry-picked ones that are easy to fight.  I believe in respect and tolerance for ALL human beings, no matter what race, religion, political party, sexual orientation, and gender orientation.  I believe Matthew 7 is one of the most important chapters in the Bible because it tells us not to do the one thing that humans are known to do the most; judge.

I'm sorry to inform you, but the Holy Bible is not United States Law.

0 comments:

Post a Comment