Social Icons

Saturday, February 25, 2012

What Am I Giving Up For Lent?


In my previous post, I mentioned that I haven't decided what I was going to give up for Lent.

I've decided that I don't need to give up anything for Lent this year, (but I have stopped eating Cinnamon rolls, so I guess that counts). 

I see some of my Christian friends giving up Facebook for Lent.  That's fine.  Just remember why you're giving up whatever you're giving up.  

Is Lent mentioned in the Bible? Not exactly.  Lent was created by humans to prepare us for the days that we remember the crucifixion of Christ, (Good Friday, Easter).  The word Lent comes from the word lencten, which means "Spring."  

Of course, the number 40 is a special number in Christianity.  Moses spent 40 days on Mount Sinai, eating no food or drinking no water.  Jesus spent 40 days in the desert being tempted by the Devil.  

According to Catholic Education, the a form of Lent was recorded in a letter from St. Irenaeus' (d. 203) letter to Pope St. Victor I.

Go ahead.  Give up something for Lent.  I'm not.  I'm going to be committed to read more scripture and pray more, both things I don't do enough of.


WAIT! Before you go, read this article.

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local-woman-gives-up-facebook-for-lent-instead-knits-hats/article_cc975a60-5f71-11e1-b515-0019bb2963f4.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment