Social Icons

Monday, November 11, 2013

“Are you listening to me? Really listening?”: Reading Log #3



[This paper was written for the Synoptic Gospels class at Capital University, where I am seeking a minor degree in religion.]
Jesse Harmon
RELIG 330
November 11, 2013
“Are You Listening To Me?  Really Listening?” Reading Log #3
            As promised in my last reading log, I was going to do this one by starting off by reading the Gospel of Luke.  I realized that as I read through the three gospels, I tended to write down more about what caught my eye when I first started reading the gospels, then when I finished reading them.  I wrote more about Matthew and Mark than I did about Luke.  So this time, I started with Luke.  My theory was proven again.  I wrote a lot about Luke and Matthew, but the page I reserved for writing notes about Mark is barren.
            I was very excited for this reading log because I was going to read the Gospels through the language of The Message, a very contemporary, thought-for-thought translation of the Bible.  It was also a regret.  I had bought the pocket version, and the print was so small I had trouble reading it at times.  I decided to, again, go through each of the Gospels, and write down what I thought the Holy Spirit wanted me to see.  As mentioned, I started with Luke.  Then I read Matthew, and finally Mark.  I must first make mention of one thing.  Eugene H. Peterson, the translator, gave the Bible all new chapter numbers and verses.  He also sequenced the verse numbers so they are located in the left column, and not in the actual text itself, much like other translations do.  In The Message, Luke has a total of twenty-four chapters.  Matthew has twenty-eight, and Mark has sixteen.  Because of the way the verse numbers are laid out, (mostly in blocks of text), I had to guess what number corresponded with what verse.
            One of the most interesting things about The Message is the very contemporary language.  For instance, Peterson translates Luke 1:15 like this: “He’ll drink neither wine nor beer.”  In Luke 1:46-55, what Peterson calls “Blessed Among Women,” we see halfway through the section, “He knocked tyrants off their high horses.”  In 3:7-9, we see that the children of Abraham are, “a dime-a-dozen.”  Right after coming down the mountain in the section called “Give Away Your Life,” Jesus speaks about how to behave (6:31-34), “If you only love the lovable, do you expect a pat on the backRun-of-the-mill sinners do that.  If you only help those who help you, do you expect a medal?  Garden-variety sinners do that.”  Jesus also states that only the “stingiest of pawnbrokers” only give for what they get.  He also states before this that if someone takes advantage of you, “Use the occasion to practice the servant life.   No more tit-for-tat stuff.”  In Mark 4:8-9 during Jesus’ temptation, we see the Devil saying, “They’re yours—lock, stock, and barrel.”  “Are you listening to me?  Really listening?”
            The translator also retranslates the famous “plank in the eye” passage.  He simply writes Jesus’ words as being “smudges” and “sneers.”  Jesus states that the people who sneer have a “­better-than-you mentality,” and play a “holier-than-thou part instead of just living [one’s] own part.”  (Luke 6-41-42).  These words that Jesus speak are not simply “additions to [one’s] life, homeowner improvements to [one’s] standard of living.”  These words that Jesus spoke are words that people need to take into account so they don’t become like a “dumb carpenter who built a house but skipped the foundation.” (Luke 6:46-47). 
            When Peter tells Jesus that Jesus is the Messiah, Jesus says in Luke 9:23, “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead.  You’re not in the driver’s seat—I am.”  I remember once seeing a bumper sticker that said, “God Is My Co-Pilot.” (I think that phrase was based off of an old movie).  For a long time I thought this was a good phrase.  Then one day, I saw another bumper sticker.  It said, “If God Is Your Co-Pilot, Switch Seats!”  I realize how much of a mistake it was to think the former bumper sticker was good.  It is basically saying, “I’m driving, and God is helping me.”  The latter bumper sticker says that God is the one who steers me in whichever direction he needs for me to go.  (I also saw a bumper sticker online that said, “God Was My Co-Pilot, But We Crashed In The Mountains And I Had To Eat Him,” but that’s off topic).—Are you listening to me?  Really listening?
            As we move along in Luke, we see the Pharisees confront what Jesus is saying about them in 11:45.  At this point, Jesus has been very harsh to the Pharisees by calling them “hopeless,” and, “frauds.”  (“Woe to you” passages).  The Pharisees respond with, “Teacher, do you realize that in saying these things you’re insulting us?”  I have to images in my head on how they Pharisees said this.  First, they either said this very sheepishly, and ashamed at themselves, or they said this sarcastically, in an attempt to catch Jesus in his own words.  Jesus responds bluntly with, “Yes, and I can be even more explicit…” Jesus’ words and expressions are really brought forth by the use of the many exclamation points.  It seems like every other sentence has an exclamation point at the end of it.  “…Every drop of righteous blood ever spilled from the time earth began until now…is on your hands.  Yes, it’s on the bill of this generation and this generation will pay!”  “Are you listening to me?  Really listening?” 
            This translation hits home with me.  The word “bully” is mentioned several times in all three gospels.  As someone who was harassed, stalked, and assaulted by bullies, I can now sense how much of a pain the religious leaders were at that time.  Jesus said in 12:4-5, “I’m speaking to you as dear friends.  Don’t be bluffed into silence or insincerity by the threats of religious bullies.  True, they can kill you, but then what can they do?  There’s nothing they can do to your soul, your core being.  Save your fear for God, who holds your entire life—body and soul—in his hands.” 
            But those who bullied, harassed, and assaulted me were right about one thing.  For years and years I was tormented throughout middle school and high school.  These monsters knew even before I did that I wasn’t “normal,” (whatever that means.)  They found out that something about me wasn’t quite in line with the middle school society at that point in time.  Yes, I asked them to stop with it, but they continued on.  Yes, I asked the teachers to tell them to stop, but the teachers didn’t listen.  The administration didn’t listen.  One day in sixth grade, I had had enough with it.  I lashed out at one of my classmonsters.  Of course, it was me who was sent to the office.  I didn’t think the administration had any idea what was going on.  I felt like they had their heads so far up their butts that they couldn’t see the light of day.  That’s when I flew into a depressed state.  I kept wondering to myself, “Are you listening to me?  Really listening?”  I still hold grudges against my classmates and against the administration at my home school district.  They didn’t control the bullying problem.  It’s been four years since I’ve attended those schools, but I know the administration hasn’t changed much.  I’m sure there are still lots of close-minded bullying going on there.  I’m sure the jocks and addicts are still tormenting those students who are reclusive and introverted.  I was told by the administration that “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.”  That’s plain foolishness.  Matthew 5:22 says, “The simple moral fact is that words kill.”  “It’s your heart, not the dictionary, that gives meanings to your words…Words can be your salvation.  Words can also be your damnation.” (Matthew 12:34-37). 
            But I have to go ahead of what Jesus says in Matthew 5:22.  “You’re familiar with the command to the ancients, ‘Do not murder.’  I’m telling you that anyone who is so much as angry with a brother or sister is guilty of murder.  Carelessly call a brother ‘idiot!’ and you just might find yourself hauled into court.  Thoughtlessly yell ‘stupid!’ at a sister and you are on the brink of hellfire.  The simple moral fact is that words kill.”  I was stuck dumb after reading that.  Yes, I’ve read it in other translations of the Bible, but to see it put so bluntly—I was struck with God’s two-by-four.  “Are you listening to me?  Really listening?”
            This…thing…I mentioned is so contrary to what God’s will is… so contrary to what Christians believe…so contrary to what I believe, that I find it difficult to even cope with it mentally.  I have spent hours and hours and days and weeks trying to figure out what is going on.  How can a heart to proactive in seeking God be torn down by something like sin?  How could sin reign so strongly and persistently in a heart so wholly surrendered to God?  “Are you listening to me?  Really listening?”  I don’t know, God.  I don’t know if I’m really listening or not.  I think that’s you, but I’m not sure.  Living this way is hard.  I won’t deny it anymore if anyone asks, but I won’t go around spouting it off.  “When you practice some appetite-denying discipline to better concentrate on God, don’t make a production out of it.  It might turn you into a small time celebrity, but it won’t make you a saint.  If you ‘go into training’ inwardly, act normal outwardly…God doesn’t require attention-getting devices.  He won’t overlook what you are doing; he’ll reward you well.”  (Matthew 6:16-18).  God provides beauty to the wildflowers.  Don’t you think he will do the same for you? (paraphrase Matthew 6:25-33).  “Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow.  God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.”  (Matthew 6:34). 
            “When Jesus concluded his address, the crowd burst into applause.  They had never heard teaching like this.  It was apparent that he was living everything he was saying—quite a contrast to their religious teachers!  This was the best teaching they had ever heard.” (Matthew 7:28-29).  This was the best teaching I had ever heard!  “Are you listening to me?  Really listening?”  Reading Jesus’ sermon on the mount in The Message was either the first or second most comforting thing I had felt in a long time.  The other most comforting thing was when my friend and I had a long discussion the same night that I read that passage.  My aching heart was filled with joy.  “Are you tired?” Yes.  “Worn out?” Yes!  “Burned out on religion?  Heavens, yes!  “Come to me.  Get away with me and you’ll recover your life.  I’ll show you how to take a real rest.  Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it.  Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.  I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.  Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28-30).  “Are you listening to me?  Really listening?”  (Matthew 11:15, Matthew 13:9, Matthew 13:34, Mark 4:9, Mark 4:23, Luke 8:8, Luke 14:34).

0 comments:

Post a Comment