Social Icons

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Hymns and Christian Tradition Final Reflection


[This paper was written for the Hymns and Christian Tradition class at Capital University, where I am seeking a minor degree in religion.]

Final Reflections
Before writing this paper, I was writing another reflection paper for the Music Business and Law class here at Capital University.  The assignment was to write a short reflection on the class, and what my future goals were going to be.  I wrote about how I used some of the components of the Music Business and Law class, as well as some aspects of this class, to compose two hymns, as well as register both with BMI and the United States Copyright office.  One hymn was sung at my church, Saint Matthew Lutheran Church, in Logan, Ohio, while the Collegiate Chorale at Christ Lutheran Church in Bexley, Ohio, performed the other hymn.  There’s nothing quite like having something you made be sung by 150 people at the same time. 


            The rest of the reflection paper for Music Business and Law dealt with what I would do once I graduate.  I’ve been very torn lately.  I stated that I came to Capital University with the intention of working full time in a recording studio.  As I took classes, and gained more insight in the music industry, I realized that I was interested in a lot of things.  I had gotten part time employment with two sound companies, I started my own freelance production company, I’ve been composing and writing more songs, and I’ve been writing more in general.  I honestly don’t know why I’ve really gotten into writing as of late.  Last year, during the Jesus Through The Ages class, I came to dread the writing assignments.  I felt like I was able to say what I wanted to say in two paragraphs.  Now, a year later, I find myself writing way more than is expected.  Take the hymnology paper for example.  I believe that paper had a 12-page minimum requirement.  I blew way past that, and I didn’t even realize it.  The 8-page research paper for the Music Technology Survey class turned into a massive 20-page booklet, single-spaced, with pictures and small margins.  After realizing that I liked writing more than I thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that I would like to have writing involved in my job seeking process.  In the Music Business and Law reflection paper, I stated that I could probably get several jobs in the music business at one time.  I could work in an audiovisual preservation company during the daytime, at a recording studio at night, a live sound gig on the weekends, and compose whenever I get a chance.  I’ve always been a hard worker, and I’ve always had a strong work ethic.  I believe in giving the employer an honest day’s work for what he’s paying me.  I think this is shown through my tendency to go way above and beyond the call of duty. 
On January 9, 2013, I wrote the following for the Congregational Song paper for this class.
There were many times that I wonder, “Why am I doing this?  What is the point in all this college crap?”  I sometimes feel God say, “I understand.  I know what you’re going through.”  Then I remember the opening verse to this hymn,
When I survey the wondrous cross
 on which the prince of glory died,
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.” 
Why do I stress about sissy stuff like college work, when God put his very own son to death? 
I was obviously referring to “When I Survey The Wondrous Cross.”  I was writing about how I sometimes felt alone and confused as to what I am suppose to do in life.  I still get that feeling, even while writing the Music Business and Law paper.  I worry that I won’t have enough connections in the music industry to secure a full-time job.  I recently came across a hymn called “Day by Day, and With Each Passing Moment.”  A.L. Skoog and Carolina Sandell wrote these lines that really struck me:
 “Strength I find to meet my trials here…”
“Everyday the Lord Himself is near me, So to trust Thy promises…”
“Help me then, in every tribulation…”
“That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation…”
“Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting…”
“One by one, the days, the moments fleeting, Till with Christ the Lord I stand.”  (“Day by Day”).
The most important thing I’ve learned in this class isn’t just old hymns; it’s about the community that can come as a result of music.  There’s nothing like having 150 people stand in your home church and sing the same song that 150 people sang four hundred years ago halfway around the world.  I find great joy in that connection with those people.  I am reminded of the Garth Brooks concert in Central Park in 1997.  When his band left the stage, he grabbed a guitar and sat on the edge of the stage.  He sang the verses to “Unanswered Prayers,” while the audience of about 500,000 sang the chorus.  “Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers / Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs / That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care / Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.”  There’s nothing quite like that.  I get somewhat upset when I see churches install giant projector screens and hire praise bands.  When this happens, the participating in community worship turns into a watching of a concert.  The audience looks at the praise band and listens to them instead of listening to one another. 
As I continue my struggle with depression and anxiety, I think about, “When I Survey The Wondrous Cross.”  God put his own son to death to save me from my sin.  That should have been you and me on that cross that day, but God loves us so much, he took flesh and was killed by the greatest thing he created –man.  There is no greater love than that.  I think of the last verse, “Were the whole realm of nature mine, / That were a present far too small; / Love so amazing, so divine, / Demands my soul, my life, my all.”  At Sunday’s service at Christ Lutheran Church in Bexley, Ohio, (after the world premier of one of my songs) pastor Tim Iseringhausen’s sermon on Christ’s unending love for us struck me as important to this paper.  The lesson was John 13:31-35, and was about Jesus giving his disciples a new commandment: “Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.”  Pastor Iseringhausen then went on to tell how “smoke jumpers” were firefighters who would just out of airplanes with hundreds of pounds of gear on their backs, right in the middle of a burning forest.  The smoke jumpers would fight the fire without any water or fire retardant, and instead rely on cutting down burning trees and digging ditches to keep the fire from spreading.  These firefighters would go into these situations knowing that they might not ever come back out.  They know their days might be limited, just as Jesus knew his days (and moments) were limited just before he was put to death.  Pastor Iseringhausen proposed a question to the congregation: “How would you live your life if you knew the exact moment it would end?” (Iseringhausen).  Jesus knew the exact moment it would end, and he used every second of the remainder of his life to its fullest extent.  How would you love a person if you knew the exact moment of your death?  Would you love that person as Jesus healed a leper after the sermon on the mound?  Would you love that person as “smelly-feet washer-Jesus” loved his disciples?  Would you love that person enough that you would die for them?  Just as the woman who died and gave her liver to my dying father two and a half years ago, Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins.  I don’t think there is ever a greater gift than that.
I learned so much in this class not only about hymns, but also about myself.  I learned to be more confident with my battle with depression, and I’ve learned to be more open and honest about my shortcomings, and myself as people like Charlotte Elliot have.  I’ve learned that there were people who have taken their anger and pain and put it down into words (William Cowper).  I’ve learned that people have taken their jubilation and joy and spontaneously composed hymns that were never written down (Zinzendorf).  I thought this class was challenging, but rewarding.  It made me think a whole lot about myself and about my faith.  I’m excited about the synoptic gospels class next semester.  We’ll see how things go from there.
Works Cited
"Day by Day." Hymnary.Org. Hymn Society of the United States and Canada. Web. 24           Apr 2013.

Iseringhausen, Tim. "Sermon on John 13:31-35." Traditional Worship. Christ             Lutheran Church. Ohio, Bexley. 28 Apr 

0 comments:

Post a Comment